Skip to main content

My Top Tinder Tips

I'm gonna cut right to the chase, today we're talking about Tinder.  Before I get into it, I should probably explain what Tinder is for those who may not know. Tinder is a dating app, where people can either swipe left to ignore, or swipe right to match. Once you match with someone, you can then choose to message them, but you both have to swipe right on each other in order to become a match. Your pool of potential matches is based on your geographical location and your preferred gender.

The book we're reading in my class "The Art of Social Media" by Guy Kawasaki, has a wonderful blurb about social media profiles and he makes a connection to Tinder profiles. Kawasaki says to treat your profiles as if they are Tinder profiles, not E-Harmony. People do not always sit there and study your profile, they might just make snap judgments about it, so you should prepare for that to happen. Today, I am going to expand on his thoughts and tell you my three tips to maximizing your Tinder profile. For the sake of this blog post, and for strictly that reason ONLY, I have re-downloaded Tinder. I know, I know. Let's just get on with it before I consider keeping it around. Also, I should preface this by saying these are my tips, and my opinions so feel free to use Tinder however you may choose, this is just what I have found personally works for me.

1. Pick Your Pics Precisely

Unfortunately, the very shallow and probably biggest downfall of Tinder's relationship formula, is that a large percentage of it is based strictly off of looks. Although, I can't complain too much because I have definitely fallen victim to this. Tinder gives you the option of adding multiple pictures, and it's crucial that you pick them wisely. The first picture should be nice, sophisticated but flirty, and one that presents you in the best light. No, literally ladies lighting is KEY. Your next few pictures you can play around with. These can be used to display your friendships, your hobbies, and just your overall personality. Pets make a great addition to Tinder profiles, too! Everyone loves a furry friend and everyone loves someone who also loves a furry friend. Guys, I'm specifically speaking to you for a second. UPDATE YOUR PICS. It's hard for girls to prove to their girlfriends that the guy they're interested in is actually attractive when all we have to work with is a bad angle, pre-pubescent selfie of yours from eighth grade.

2. "Bio" is a Short Word for a Reason

Your bio is the second key component on Tinder. In the event that someone actually clicks on your profile to learn more about you instead of immediately swiping, first of all, congratulations, and second, you need to be prepared. BIOS ARE SHORT. No one cares to read your life story, I hate to break it to you, but we do not care. Bios are used to display the necessary information about yourself, with room to keep them asking for more. Employment, education, a general personality trait, and maybe a call to action i.e. "Message me to find out more." that is all you need, folks. No details about your cat, Misty, or what your favorite color is, that is all irrelevant right now. Kawasaki says that "your profile should give the impression that you are likable, trustworthy and competent." and I agree. Simple but thought-provoking is what we're aiming for.

3. Find a Match, Light a Spark

This section will be brief because we're gravitating away from one's social media profile into one's general personality traits, but I must address it. When you do get a match, if you choose to pursue this person, do not say something crude, or degrading. It's best to enter with a compliment, a pick-up line, a note about their now very professional, short, but thought-provoking bio, or just a general greeting.

 I hope you have learned something today, and if you ever decide to make a Tinder profile, I hope these tips can help you get the most out of it. I'm curious, what kinds of other posts would you like to see from me about social media or Ohio Northern, I'd love to know! Also, you can subscribe to these posts if you'd like to get an email every time I post a blog. This way the blogs come straight to you, and you don't have to seek them out (also it's free so why wouldn't you.) As always, thanks so much for reading, I greatly appreciate any feedback, and I hope you can find something to laugh about today!

Comments

  1. My Tinder profile will be A1 because of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, happy I could help! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
    2. Sierra, I don't care what subject you pick. Just reading your words makes you come alive again. Keep writing! You have a gift. (And, by the way, feel free to tell your professor that I think you deserve an A!)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Things

If you've never bought in to anything I've said on this platform, or any platform for that matter, please try and dissolve what I'm about to say.

I'm full of insecurities, always have been. My face is too round. My love handles poke out. Arms are so flabby I could probably fly away. Acne comes and goes and reminds me that I have pores, too. Sometimes my eyebrows look more like stepsisters than twins. Bigfoot and I could share shoes. The mole on my nose isn't always a welcome decoration. Scars from past accidents cover my legs and bring back the memories of learning how to ride a bike. Most days my curls resemble an unruly afro, not the cute kind of Shirley Temple curls I once had.

Lately, my insecurities have consumed me. Every time I looked in the mirror, a frown followed. I tugged and poked at my body for hours. But today, today I woke up and felt new. I was a different person. The person in the mirror was happy, glowing, beautiful. My hair twisted and turned jus…

Planning my Funeral

No, the title is not clickbait, and yes, it is true. Hear me out. I'm not suicidal. I'm not terminally ill, that I know of. But I do know that days are limited here on this precious planet we call home and I've become increasingly aware of that.

I got to thinking a few days ago about my own funeral. Funerals are typically sad situations, and for good reason, yes. But I don't want my funeral to be sad. I'm only nineteen and haven't written a will, and while I don't plan on it any time soon, this is my unofficial, official will. Although, a bit differently. You see, I don't want to tell you what I leave to everyone in my life, I want to tell you what I hope I've left behind. And I want to tell you how I want my celebration of life to be.

First of all, I hope my life had purpose. I don't care what, and not really how either, but I hope I left a legacy. I hope everyone who knew me knew that all I ever wanted was to make them laugh, or smile. I hope …

Rush Rho Gam

Two sorority posts back to back, who am I???

Last week on campus we finished up a week of formal recruitment. This year instead of being involved with normal recruitment, I served as a Rho Gamma for my chapter. Being a Rho Gamma means that you de-affiliate from your chapter. During this time I wasn't allowed to wear any letters, affiliated merchandise, or tell people who didn't already know, which chapter I was in. I couldn't also be seen in public with a lot of my friends who were affiliated members, which was the most difficult part.
As a Rho Gamma you get paired up with a floor in one of the residence halls, and help guide the girls on that floor through formal recruitment. I had the honor of having the floor I lived in my freshman year, which was extremely nostalgic and rewarding for me. Every week we would have meetings with these girls, and walk them to rounds on campus, gradually getting to know them and love them. This part of the experience was simultaneously easy…