Skip to main content

What Social Media Has Taught Me

Social media is my drug of choice. Anyone who knows me can attest to that. I have accounts on all of the major social media sites, I post regularly, and I actively follow what people are doing on their social media accounts. I have grown up in a generation of social media professionals, and slowly day by day I believe I am becoming one. Today I want to share with you some important things I have learned by just actively participating in various social networking sites. DISCLAIMER: I am NOT an expert. I am a college student who just happens to use and love social media, so please don't quote me on any of this, they are all of my own opinions. However, if you agree with any of them be sure to let me know!

Twitter

Twitter to me is a place where viral sensations wait to happen. It is so easy for things to go viral on Twitter because things are easily retweeted and passed along for the maximum amount of people to see it. When I tweet, I'm constantly thinking about whether or not my posts will reach my audience, and what will give me the most amount of likes (formerly known as favorites which ONLY 90's kids will remember), or retweets. This may seem in-genuine, but to me as the writer and also the audience member, I usually know what my audience cares to read. ALSO, if you want to read some of my totally retweetable thoughts in 140 characters or less, feel free to follow my Twitter @sierramckinzy

Instagram

Instagram is not my forte. I don't post that regularly, only when I have something I feel is pretty exciting or memorable to share. I basically just use Instagram as my online scrapbook. I care less about what my audience wants to see, and more about what I want to return to and see a couple months down the road. However, I do care a lot about my captions. Whenever I post a new photo, I spend more time on my caption than I do actually selecting and editing the photo. To me a picture says a thousand words, but a picture accompanied by an incredible caption says a MILLION. I know, I'm a genius, feel free to quote me and put it on a canvas. (more shameless self-promo, @sierramckinzy for this one too)


Facebook

Ah, yes, Facebook. The one where plenty of teenagers probably pretended that they were too cool for, and now they're up late at night scrolling through recipes on how to make cookies four ways and laughing along with Chewbacca Mom for 4 minutes. I'm definitely guilty of that one. Facebook is a place where I put less of my "Twitter-y"thoughts on, and more of "my-aunts-and-third-cousins-could-potentially-see-this-as-well-as-future-employers-so-do-the-family-name-some-justice-y" kind-of posts. Facebook has more recently become a place to share videos and pictures across a wide variety of people. My most recent Facebook obsession is constantly scrolling through recipe videos and then never actually making a single recipe, you should try it!

I could probably go on and tell you about many other sites, but I will just stick to these three for now. Comment down below if you want me to make a part 2 of this list i.e. Snapchat, YouTube, etc. and I'll do my best! Also I'm still very new to this blogging thing, so any general feedback is IMMENSELY appreciated. Thank you so much for reading and I hope you find something to laugh about today!

Comments

  1. I would love to hear your thoughts on Snapchat. What about Tumbler? Does Reddit count as social media, or Imgur. How do you feel about MySpace or Vine? How about YikYak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I will definitely think about doing a Part 2 on some of these if you're interested, and possibly a part 3! Thanks for the comment, Valerie!

      Delete
  2. Your blog is so cute! I love this post, and I completely relate to your views of Facebook. I think it's great for food videos and creeping on people

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading it! Haha right! Those are my favorite things about Facebook. Thanks for the comment, Emily!

      Delete
  3. Jk I want to here your thoughts on vine and snapchat and I'm gonna need you to discuss Karaoke w Sierra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha okay I'll probably be doing a part 2 so stay tuned! And as far as Karaoke with Sierra what exactly did you have in mind?

      Delete
  4. Facebook is a terribly terrifying place if you look back to your freshman year and see the posts that you had. I use it for the same thing you do, too. The recipe videos are crucial to late night hunger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Facebook is a terribly terrifying place if you look back to your freshman year and see the posts that you had. I use it for the same thing you do, too. The recipe videos are crucial to late night hunger.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Things

If you've never bought in to anything I've said on this platform, or any platform for that matter, please try and dissolve what I'm about to say.

I'm full of insecurities, always have been. My face is too round. My love handles poke out. Arms are so flabby I could probably fly away. Acne comes and goes and reminds me that I have pores, too. Sometimes my eyebrows look more like stepsisters than twins. Bigfoot and I could share shoes. The mole on my nose isn't always a welcome decoration. Scars from past accidents cover my legs and bring back the memories of learning how to ride a bike. Most days my curls resemble an unruly afro, not the cute kind of Shirley Temple curls I once had.

Lately, my insecurities have consumed me. Every time I looked in the mirror, a frown followed. I tugged and poked at my body for hours. But today, today I woke up and felt new. I was a different person. The person in the mirror was happy, glowing, beautiful. My hair twisted and turned jus…

Planning my Funeral

No, the title is not clickbait, and yes, it is true. Hear me out. I'm not suicidal. I'm not terminally ill, that I know of. But I do know that days are limited here on this precious planet we call home and I've become increasingly aware of that.

I got to thinking a few days ago about my own funeral. Funerals are typically sad situations, and for good reason, yes. But I don't want my funeral to be sad. I'm only nineteen and haven't written a will, and while I don't plan on it any time soon, this is my unofficial, official will. Although, a bit differently. You see, I don't want to tell you what I leave to everyone in my life, I want to tell you what I hope I've left behind. And I want to tell you how I want my celebration of life to be.

First of all, I hope my life had purpose. I don't care what, and not really how either, but I hope I left a legacy. I hope everyone who knew me knew that all I ever wanted was to make them laugh, or smile. I hope …

My Dating Profile

I think it's about time I use my blog to find love, don't you think? Last year I wrote about my top tinder tips (I've linked the blog post in case you're just absolutely DYING to go read more about that) and I think another dating app/profile blog post is long overdue. I have had my fair share of editing, critiquing, and looking at dating profiles, and finding out what works and what doesn't, and I figured the best way to tell you is to show you. I'm going to take you on a tour of MY dating profile, well what it would look like if I had one.




Name: Sierra McKinzy Prince (but you can call me Fresh Prince)

Age: 19, but about to beat teen pregnancy

Celebrity look-a-like: Queen Latifah

Likes: Long naps, tight hugs, seafood (Swedish Fish), Hamilton: An American Musical, tweeting an excessive amount until I physically lose followers, deep conversations about life

Dislikes: the entire premise of the American education system, when a good song comes on in the car right when …