A Spotlight on Shiori

Shiori and I
For this Monday's blog, we were given the assignment to record a podcast with someone who is an expert in their field. I thought about this for a bit and couldn't come up with anything, but then I thought of Shiori. Shiori is one of my sisters from Zeta Tau Alpha that I met last year. She's from Tokyo, Japan. She is one of the sweetest, most genuine people I've ever met and I had the pleasure of sitting down with her for ten minutes and learning more about her, Japan and her journey to America. I have included a link to the podcast with Shiori if you want to give it a listen!

In this podcast, Shiori told me about how she first discovered she wanted to study in America. It started when she first studied in Canada in junior high, and by learning some Canadian and even American culture, a newfound dream of hers became studying in America.

If you're ever around Shiori, you'll quickly realize she's usually always cold. This was quite funny to me as a brisk September morning felt good to us Ohioan's, but to Shiori that was an opportunity to sport a thicker jacket. During this podcast I realized though that this is because in America we like to keep the air conditioning blasting even when the temperature lowers, and in Japan they do not. She told me this became one of the biggest adjustments when she moved to America.

Next, I talked to Shiori a little about her Twitter account. I mentioned that I've noticed most of her tweets are in Japanese, because most of her Twitter followers probably speak Japanese. I related this to how I thought it was probably difficult to speak and think in one language around some people and then immediately switch your brain to speak in a different language. But Shiori assured me that it really wasn't all that difficult.

After that I took some time to try my hand at Japanese (SPOILER: It's very hard and I'm very bad at it.) Shiori taught me how to say cauliflower, which they do not have a Japanese word for because it's not a vegetable that is commonly found in Japan. She also taught me how to say "homework" and "Facebook". Lastly, and the most difficult of the bunch "Hello, my name is Sierra" which I struggled at so hard. In the end she had to end up writing it out for me because I just could not for the life of me repeat it back to her correctly.

Overall, I learned even more about how INCREDIBLE Shiori is, for moving to a brand new country away from everyone and everything you know, where you know minimal English. I'm so incredibly proud of where she is even a year later and I can't wait to see where she is when we graduate. Shiori, thank you for letting me get a little peek into your life! I hope you guys enjoyed the podcast and learning more about Shiori! I encourage everyone to reach out to those who aren't from the same place as us and strive to learn more about them and where they come from. As always, thanks for reading and I hope you find something to laugh about today!


Comments

  1. I love that you interviewed Shiori! We had class together all last year and she is so sweet. I also really enjoy the way you structured your conversation, it was so interesting to learn some words in Japanese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so sweet, I love her! And thank you! I tried to make it as enjoyable and interesting for everyone as possible, even those who may not know her.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts