How (not) To: Hate Comments

Chapter 4 of "The Art of Social Media"  by Guy Kawasaki talks about the correct way to address comments, how to tell the difference between a genuinely passionate person, and what is called a "troll". Whether they're constructive, or somewhat negative, or you-kiss-your-mother-with-that-mouth?, comments aren't always easy to read. I want to preface this by saying I have only received lovely comments on this blog, and I appreciate every single one. They truly do make my day, so please keep commenting! However, some people do not have as nice of viewers as I do, like YouTubers.

For those who know me well enough know I watch A LOT of YouTube. I'll most likely be doing a separate blog on my favorite things to watch on YouTube, who I'm subscribed to and all that good stuff, but for now I just want to address YouTube hate comments. I've challenged myself with scrolling through the comments of some YouTubers I watch and finding some of the worst comments I can find. Hopefully my reaction might be somewhat entertaining for you, and also hopefully this will show you how NOT to act online, or anywhere for that matter.


James Corden and Adele during Carpool Karaoke
    One of my favorite videos of all time is James Corden's, of The Late Late Show, Carpool Karaoke with Adele. It currently as I'm typing this has over 125 MILLION views. If you have not watched it before I HIGHLY recommend it I spent over five minutes looking for a bad comment about Adele, but I genuinely couldn't find one. People did however, have a lot to say about Britney Spears' Carpool Karaoke, often saying they "came over to this video to cleanse my ears". I could say a lot about this, but instead I'll just suggest maybe using a q-tip next time. 

  • Okay, this is proving to be harder than I thought. Another YouTuber I frequently watch is Zoella, or Zoe Sugg, a beauty vlogger from the UK. I took to her YouTube and I didn't see any truly alarming comments, so I went to her Instagram. None really stood out except I did keep seeing something you will never guess is still around- CHAIN MESSAGES. I understand that it is spam, but I don't understand why it comes in the form of a fake chain message. A comment saying "If you stop reading this you will die, my name is Teresa fidalgo....blah, blah, blah haunt you forever, blah!" I might've paraphrased some but nevertheless I AM APPALLED. Did we accidentally take a time machine back to 2009 because I'm so confused why this is still happening. All I have to say is we're three short months away from 2017, it's time to let the chain messages go. However, I am pleased with the lack of hate comments I could find, so good job, Internet! 

  • Annnnnd I spoke too soon.  The SacconeJoly's are an Irish family that upload daily vlogs on YouTube. Anna, the mother has openly talked about her body image issues, how she constantly gets hate comments about her appearance, how she isn't a good mother and things similar to this. In one of their recent videos she expressed to the vlog that the comments had mostly subsided following their miscarriage in early May, but now they're starting up again. This time typically about her skin, and her appearance without any makeup on. One comment reads "Tough sh**. You use your kids for money, you don't get to request only head-in-the-clouds comments. Your skin is gross to look at. People have every right to say that" And to that I say, NO YA FREAKIN' DON'T. Just because they put their lives online gives you LITERALLY no right to express your opinions to them, and it doesn't mean that they should be forced to accept that.   Take yo negative Nancy self outta here, we don't need it! There's SO many things wrong with this comment and people having and expressing these opinions in general, but I'll quit while I'm ahead. 

I don't often look at the comments because things like that get me quite upset, and I probably never will again.  This blog was somewhat a fail, somewhat a success, if you can even call it that, but also a discovery that we might still be stuck in 2009??? I think we can all learn something from this. The words you say directly affect others, so we should always keep them kind, constructive, caring, and good lord, please no more chain messages. Subscribe to these blogs if you feel so inclined at the bottom of this page, and please take my poll while you're down
there to let me know what you want to see more out of this blog! As always, thank you so much for reading, it was something a bit different but hopefully still interesting! I hope you find something to laugh about today!  




Comments

  1. Specially like your last paragraph wrapping it up! It does seem like we are stuck in time and many just keep on gripping and writing hate comments. Sometimes I want to say didn't your momma ever tell you if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts