Skip to main content

7 Steps to Measuring My Success

In case you missed it, for my last week of blogs I'm doing three wrap-up style blogs. This one is going to be a wrap-up of our final book for this class "Measure What Matters" by Katie Paine. This book has a lot of great information about measuring value and statistics across your social media channels. In every chapter of this book, the author summarizes all of her points into seven main steps. So instead of summing up this entire book and talking about how to measure social media, I figured I'd use these seven steps to measure my life thus far and where I plan to go.

1. Define your goals and objectives

  • Be happy
  • Be healthy
  • Form and maintain strong, caring friendships 
  • Get my degree
  • Encourage others 

2. Define your environment, audience, and your role in influencing them


My environment is my school, my home, and my church. My audience is my family, friends, brothers and sisters in Christ, my professors and future employers. No matter how I influence them I hope to always be true to myself while I'm doing it.

3. Define your investment

  • $20,000 a semester (see my past blog describing just how expensive that is)
  • Lots and lots of time
  • Prioritizing even when I don't want to
  • Making many sacrifices

4. Determine your benchmarks


I've learned in life to never compare yourself to others, so I try my best not to. In the past I've been hurt, and I've hurt others unfortunately. I like to think I've come out stronger, wiser, and much kinder. If you compare yourself to who you used to be and consistently making changes to better yourself you'll always be improving which is what I try to do.

5. Define your key performance indicators


This area is probably the hardest to define because it's hard to put a level on the quality friendships you have, or your encouragement to others passions in life. I know that in every single one of my blogs I strive to make people laugh or inspire them. One thing I can measure is after the next two weeks I'll be 3/8th of the way done with my degree!!

6. Collect data


It's hard to measure happiness, isn't it? There is no scale to step on, no measuring cup to pour into. I can tell you I feel much happier than I ever have before, and I think that counts for something. My health is a climbing battle, but I told myself I need to start exercising next year so that's a start, right?I've gained friends, I've lost some. Every person in my life right now is meant to be in it and I gain a lot of comfort in that.

7. Turn data into action

I'm not perfect, that's for sure. I'm growing and I'm learning every single day and that's what matters. It's almost time for a new year, and a new opportunity to reinvent myself. I will take what I've learned and the mistakes I've made in order to make adjustments for the year to come. 



This post got way deeper than I intended it to but I'm happy with it. The end of the year is always a perfect time to reflect on the past year and all of the good, bad, and the ugly. I truly encourage you to go through your seven steps and reflect. 

Comments

  1. Know that you have lots of support, Sierra. You are and are becoming a beautiful young woman. Keep on doing what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this post Sierra. You took something we learned in class and applied it to yourself in a genuine way. I totally believe when you set your mind to it, you can achieve anything! Keep growing and learning everyday while having a positive attitude and you'll go FAR in life :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah how long have you had a blog omg I'm just now finding out about this

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Things

If you've never bought in to anything I've said on this platform, or any platform for that matter, please try and dissolve what I'm about to say.

I'm full of insecurities, always have been. My face is too round. My love handles poke out. Arms are so flabby I could probably fly away. Acne comes and goes and reminds me that I have pores, too. Sometimes my eyebrows look more like stepsisters than twins. Bigfoot and I could share shoes. The mole on my nose isn't always a welcome decoration. Scars from past accidents cover my legs and bring back the memories of learning how to ride a bike. Most days my curls resemble an unruly afro, not the cute kind of Shirley Temple curls I once had.

Lately, my insecurities have consumed me. Every time I looked in the mirror, a frown followed. I tugged and poked at my body for hours. But today, today I woke up and felt new. I was a different person. The person in the mirror was happy, glowing, beautiful. My hair twisted and turned jus…

Planning my Funeral

No, the title is not clickbait, and yes, it is true. Hear me out. I'm not suicidal. I'm not terminally ill, that I know of. But I do know that days are limited here on this precious planet we call home and I've become increasingly aware of that.

I got to thinking a few days ago about my own funeral. Funerals are typically sad situations, and for good reason, yes. But I don't want my funeral to be sad. I'm only nineteen and haven't written a will, and while I don't plan on it any time soon, this is my unofficial, official will. Although, a bit differently. You see, I don't want to tell you what I leave to everyone in my life, I want to tell you what I hope I've left behind. And I want to tell you how I want my celebration of life to be.

First of all, I hope my life had purpose. I don't care what, and not really how either, but I hope I left a legacy. I hope everyone who knew me knew that all I ever wanted was to make them laugh, or smile. I hope …

Rush Rho Gam

Two sorority posts back to back, who am I???

Last week on campus we finished up a week of formal recruitment. This year instead of being involved with normal recruitment, I served as a Rho Gamma for my chapter. Being a Rho Gamma means that you de-affiliate from your chapter. During this time I wasn't allowed to wear any letters, affiliated merchandise, or tell people who didn't already know, which chapter I was in. I couldn't also be seen in public with a lot of my friends who were affiliated members, which was the most difficult part.
As a Rho Gamma you get paired up with a floor in one of the residence halls, and help guide the girls on that floor through formal recruitment. I had the honor of having the floor I lived in my freshman year, which was extremely nostalgic and rewarding for me. Every week we would have meetings with these girls, and walk them to rounds on campus, gradually getting to know them and love them. This part of the experience was simultaneously easy…