Why I Hate Group Projects

As a sophomore in college I've had my fair share of group projects, and I already know there are going to be so many more in college and in my career so you don't even need to write that in the comments. BUT, just for a second can I get on my soap box and talk about why group projects are the WORST.



1. Randomized groups


NO. No. No thank you. I took this class with my friends. I'd appreciate having them in a group, but not for the reasons you might think. Sure I'd love to be able to talk to them, but I pick them to have in a group because I know them. I know how to work with them. I know if they're better writers or presenters. We can easily meet outside of class to work on our project because we'll most likely be hanging out outside of class anyway. Please do not give me Tyler from the fourth row who hasn't shown up since syllabus day and expect me to not have to do a majority (all) of the work.

2. Scheduling meetings


You would think that we don't all attend the same school by how hard it is to schedule a meeting with people. Suzy can't meet at 4:00 on Thursdays because she has basket-weaving, and Ross can't meet every Wednesday night because he has to watch paint dry at work. I am exaggerating, yes, but good lord people this project is due tomorrow morning and we have nothing done!!!!

3. Divide and conquer


Often times in college group projects just become divide and conquer operations. This is partly because we are all about doing our fair share of the work, but mostly because we can't pick a good time to meet with everyone. The horrible part of this scenario is that when it comes time to submit it, you have 4 or 5 different styles of writing. Or when you go to present it, Person A has no flippin clue what Person C is about to speak about.


I really detest group projects for other reasons but these are the first ones that come to mind. Let me know if you can think of any other reasons. Thanks for reading- sorry I took a little break last week, I was feeling incredibly uninspired, don't worry I'll try not to let it happen again.




Comments

Popular Posts