Skip to main content

A Letter to My Sister

Sister,


You've always been older than me, wiser than me, smarter than me, not funnier though, sorry I think I have you beat. But only recently have I really understood how amazing you are. I'm getting ahead of myself, though, let's throw it back for a second.

In middle school you were in all of the FACTS classes (that's the really smart kid classes for those who don't know) and I aspired to be in them, just like you.

You were in garden club in the fifth grade, and I joined, just to be like you.

In high school you were in French Club, and so was I.

You were in Student Congress, guess what I joined.

You were the valedictorian, and I'll be honest I didn't even make an attempt at that because I knew that it took a special (insane) kind of person.

You went to college and joined a sorority, and at rounds when they asked me why I joined it was always you.

I never told you, but on the way home from dropping you off freshman year, I bawled silently in the back seat like a baby. I never told you, but I think you knew.

And on the day when they dropped me off, and you couldn't be there, I bawled again silently in my little dorm room because I already missed you.

Now we've made it to your college graduation, and I'm bawling silently again as I type this.

Every time you do something incredible I think "surely she can't out-do herself", but you always do.

You're becoming a freaking doctor, you saved my life so many times and now you're going to save others.

No one makes me cry, or laugh, or make the anger rise in my chest quite like you do.

I don't ever tell you enough how proud of you I am, how much I love you, how much I strive in life to be like you, but I think you know, I hope you do.

Thank you for always supporting me, showing the love of God through you, and believing in me even when I don't believe in myself.

You're my best friend, my confidante, my favorite person to send memes to, my laughter and my joy, my sister. Congratulations on graduating, ruling the world, and being my role model in every sense of the word.

I love you.
Your little baby Chummy.


P.S. This very large shout-out on my blog is your graduation present, hope you like it.




Comments

  1. That is amazing Sierra what a wonderful tribute to Jasmine. Congratulations Jaz love you both so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sierra, you are a beautiful young woman. You and Jasmine each have your own gifts, and you are both following your individual dreams - just as it should be. I am so proud of you! (And, yeah, you are funnier!😂)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5 Things

If you've never bought in to anything I've said on this platform, or any platform for that matter, please try and dissolve what I'm about to say.

I'm full of insecurities, always have been. My face is too round. My love handles poke out. Arms are so flabby I could probably fly away. Acne comes and goes and reminds me that I have pores, too. Sometimes my eyebrows look more like stepsisters than twins. Bigfoot and I could share shoes. The mole on my nose isn't always a welcome decoration. Scars from past accidents cover my legs and bring back the memories of learning how to ride a bike. Most days my curls resemble an unruly afro, not the cute kind of Shirley Temple curls I once had.

Lately, my insecurities have consumed me. Every time I looked in the mirror, a frown followed. I tugged and poked at my body for hours. But today, today I woke up and felt new. I was a different person. The person in the mirror was happy, glowing, beautiful. My hair twisted and turned jus…

Planning my Funeral

No, the title is not clickbait, and yes, it is true. Hear me out. I'm not suicidal. I'm not terminally ill, that I know of. But I do know that days are limited here on this precious planet we call home and I've become increasingly aware of that.

I got to thinking a few days ago about my own funeral. Funerals are typically sad situations, and for good reason, yes. But I don't want my funeral to be sad. I'm only nineteen and haven't written a will, and while I don't plan on it any time soon, this is my unofficial, official will. Although, a bit differently. You see, I don't want to tell you what I leave to everyone in my life, I want to tell you what I hope I've left behind. And I want to tell you how I want my celebration of life to be.

First of all, I hope my life had purpose. I don't care what, and not really how either, but I hope I left a legacy. I hope everyone who knew me knew that all I ever wanted was to make them laugh, or smile. I hope …

Rush Rho Gam

Two sorority posts back to back, who am I???

Last week on campus we finished up a week of formal recruitment. This year instead of being involved with normal recruitment, I served as a Rho Gamma for my chapter. Being a Rho Gamma means that you de-affiliate from your chapter. During this time I wasn't allowed to wear any letters, affiliated merchandise, or tell people who didn't already know, which chapter I was in. I couldn't also be seen in public with a lot of my friends who were affiliated members, which was the most difficult part.
As a Rho Gamma you get paired up with a floor in one of the residence halls, and help guide the girls on that floor through formal recruitment. I had the honor of having the floor I lived in my freshman year, which was extremely nostalgic and rewarding for me. Every week we would have meetings with these girls, and walk them to rounds on campus, gradually getting to know them and love them. This part of the experience was simultaneously easy…