Skip to main content

My Summer Internship: Week 1

Time for a little life update, rant, and probably sappy post-- so get ready for it. In case you missed it or aren't friends with me on literally any social media platform (follow me @sierramckinzy) I finally got a summer internship. It was a verrrry long process, one that put a lot of stress in my head and miles on my car-- but we won't get into that. I'm currently in my first week interning at Ascendum in Blue Ash, OH. I've been here for five days, but in that time I have learned many lessons, so I thought I'd share.


1. Commuting to work SUCKS. 


I have an hour drive to work, and back from work, in a city that is FULL of traffic-- especially at rush hour which is conveniently the time I go in and leave. I love this job, but I will not miss this drive every day. Especially because an hour drive means I have to get up an hour earlier than I would normally.


2. Making work friends is hard


I would consider myself a pretty outgoing person once you get to know me, but at first I'm actually pretty shy. This is not good for someone who comes into an office full of 40-year-olds, who have been here for years and already have work friends. It also doesn't help that I look like I'm 11-years-old and no one wants to be friends with an infant.


3. I have a love-hate relationship with desk jobs.


This one was a tough realization as I'm entering the business field which a large majority of it consists of desk jobs, but I just pray that I can find one that isn't. It's no secret that I love to sit, I didn't get this body by constantly moving. But, sitting for NINE HOURS A DAY is too much, even for this couch potato. My Fitbit is literally begging me to move at all. The only action it sees are my walks to the bathroom every hour. I do love my cubicle, though, surprisingly homey.


4. There are just some things a textbook can't teach you.


Like I said, I've only been here for a week but I've already learned so much about Marketing and Social Media that you just can't learn in a classroom. It's exciting, too, because I'm actually really enjoying the work I'm doing (which means I didn't pick the wrong field, go me!)


5. I miss summer breaks.


The experience I'm getting here (and the money) is just something you can't beat, but I have to admit I miss laying by the pool, or in bed....or on the couch, all day long. It hit me that this is what growing up is like and I can't say that was a thrilling realization.


Okay, that's enough about my life for now. I'll update you in a couple of weeks if anything changes. Overall, I'm completely content with this job and my journey getting here, so I can't really complain too much. Also, please enjoy this meme because I've found it's painfully accurate.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Things

If you've never bought in to anything I've said on this platform, or any platform for that matter, please try and dissolve what I'm about to say.

I'm full of insecurities, always have been. My face is too round. My love handles poke out. Arms are so flabby I could probably fly away. Acne comes and goes and reminds me that I have pores, too. Sometimes my eyebrows look more like stepsisters than twins. Bigfoot and I could share shoes. The mole on my nose isn't always a welcome decoration. Scars from past accidents cover my legs and bring back the memories of learning how to ride a bike. Most days my curls resemble an unruly afro, not the cute kind of Shirley Temple curls I once had.

Lately, my insecurities have consumed me. Every time I looked in the mirror, a frown followed. I tugged and poked at my body for hours. But today, today I woke up and felt new. I was a different person. The person in the mirror was happy, glowing, beautiful. My hair twisted and turned jus…

Planning my Funeral

No, the title is not clickbait, and yes, it is true. Hear me out. I'm not suicidal. I'm not terminally ill, that I know of. But I do know that days are limited here on this precious planet we call home and I've become increasingly aware of that.

I got to thinking a few days ago about my own funeral. Funerals are typically sad situations, and for good reason, yes. But I don't want my funeral to be sad. I'm only nineteen and haven't written a will, and while I don't plan on it any time soon, this is my unofficial, official will. Although, a bit differently. You see, I don't want to tell you what I leave to everyone in my life, I want to tell you what I hope I've left behind. And I want to tell you how I want my celebration of life to be.

First of all, I hope my life had purpose. I don't care what, and not really how either, but I hope I left a legacy. I hope everyone who knew me knew that all I ever wanted was to make them laugh, or smile. I hope …

Rush Rho Gam

Two sorority posts back to back, who am I???

Last week on campus we finished up a week of formal recruitment. This year instead of being involved with normal recruitment, I served as a Rho Gamma for my chapter. Being a Rho Gamma means that you de-affiliate from your chapter. During this time I wasn't allowed to wear any letters, affiliated merchandise, or tell people who didn't already know, which chapter I was in. I couldn't also be seen in public with a lot of my friends who were affiliated members, which was the most difficult part.
As a Rho Gamma you get paired up with a floor in one of the residence halls, and help guide the girls on that floor through formal recruitment. I had the honor of having the floor I lived in my freshman year, which was extremely nostalgic and rewarding for me. Every week we would have meetings with these girls, and walk them to rounds on campus, gradually getting to know them and love them. This part of the experience was simultaneously easy…